POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Lamps in a dark environment : Re: Lamps in a dark environment Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:25:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lamps in a dark environment
From: hughes, b
Date: 9 Mar 2003 15:05:32
Message: <3e6b9e8c@news.povray.org>
"Justus von Sonntag" <Jus### [at] vonSonntagde> wrote in message

> The light sources are the sky_sphere (blue -> black) and the position
lights
> of the vessel. They are modelled by a white light source within a cylinder
> which sectors are painted red/green/white according to the rules of
> sailorship.
>
> While I am already quite satisfied with the effect of this light source on
> the ship and the water (after introducing fade), the position lamp itself
is
> pretty dark - i.e. it does not shine.
>
> Setting finish ambient to red/green/white did not help. Neither did so far
> my experiments with looks_like
>
> So here is my question: How do I make the lamp appear bright ? Any answers
> are highly welcomed

What you probably hadn't tried is to use less filtering on the colors of the
light object, still using the high ambient too. It's necessary to make the
object visible to get the ambience to show or else it just gets darker when
more invisible. The light will still shine through but you might need to
increase it's brightness to counteract the less transparent surface. If you
use it as a looks_like in the light_source it will be not cast a shadow, so
that might be unwanted; unless you are using only a pigmented object within
an opaque housing.

You can also add a finish {phong 1 phong_size 0 metallic} so that there is
colored hightlighting on its surface, in which case the filter value could
remain higher (more transparent, filter 1.0 is okay then) and not have to
increase the lights color value. This is actually probably the best
solution.

Bob